Friday, October 7, 2011

Be the People by Carol M. Swain

"We the People must stand up and Be the People because we are ultimately responsible for our nation's future." - back cover

In Be the People Swain explains the foundations of our nation from a historical, religious perspective and also explores several moral issues that are hot topics in modern, American society. These include marriage, abortion, immigration and racism.

The title of the book immediately caught my attention and I thought I would jump right on board with Swain. Unfortunately, however, I did not. I consistently felt as though Swain was making bold statements without substantial support and, at times, drawing irrational conclusions (i.e. That, like Israel, America is a covenant nation with God).

While I didn't agree with everything she advocated, I am grateful to have read the book. My knowledge of current events has expanded and my ideas have been challenged, particularly in how our nation should address social issues and I have dogeared several pages for quick reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment